Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The double fault

"Although I am guiltless, His arrow inflicts an incurable wound." - Job 34:6

Job here commits a double fault. He exaggerates his own righteousness; and undermines God's goodness.

In summary, it is humanity's tendency of evil to close the gap between God and man. Man exalts man and discounts God.

In truth, God - in His goodness, kindness and grace - is infinitely superior to man. Man, in turn, is infinitely inferior to God.

A chasm of inequality separates man from God.

God bridges the gulf by conferring on man His own righteousness. This inclusion into His own righteousness defeats our dual temptation to (1) glory in our own 'righteousness', and (2) besmirch God's righteousness.

Every trial basically constitutes two elements: First, do I really believe that without grace I am nothing? Second, do I really believe that God's kindness is no less than His sovereignty?

Job cannot say that he is "guiltless". Nor can Job say that God is a sadistic huntsman. The very opposite is true on both counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment