Wednesday, December 16, 2015

What I am learning

I am learning that people are precious in God's sight. He is their Maker. He uniquely and particularly constructs and constitutes people. People are individuals. People are discreet. The individual is representative of who God is in some way. To truly love this individual is to allow the individual to be who they are in God's design.

The difficulty is that my uniqueness represents and inevitable clash with the other's uniqueness. So very often we attempt to establish our own uniqueness by requiring other people to comply with our uniqueness. The irony is that our attempts to reinforce uniqueness we destroy uniqueness.

The really loving person will let the other be who they are as God has constituted them to be. This has the additional advantage of being an act of self-love; for to accord you your uniqueness is to simultaneously establish my own. I build myself by building you. Should I be threatened by your difference then my own uniqueness is under threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment