I have come to see that the most significant question of our lives is to answer the question 'Who am I?'
We are defined by so many things. We are defined by other people. Other people speak words over us. Many times, the words people speak over us are tantamount to curses. Curses give rise to ungodly beliefs. Ungodly beliefs give rise to failed faith. Failed faith is rife country for the enemy to wreck havoc. It is a progression that too many of us have slid down dangerously.
We are defined by social constructs, such as wealth, quotient of social power, class, status, profession, and other sociological devices to bring definition and order to a disordered world.
We are defined by ourselves. We appeal to the gods of Self-Determination and Independence. We want the freedom to define ourselves any which way we want to. Subtle rebellion is still rebellion.
The real answer to the question: 'Who am I?' can only be sensibly defined by the Maker and Definer of all things. Only God can define us and tell us who we are.
God's definition of who we are, which is to say what our identity is, is that we are His.
Who am I? Well, quite simply, I am God's. I belong to Him. He possesses me. He owns me. He has me. I am entirely His. I am defined by Him.
I cannot define myself by what I do or what I achieve or fail to achieve. I am simply, beautifully, God's.
It is a complete answer. I am not a lawyer. I am not a sinner. I am not a father. I am not a husband. I am not a righteous person. I am not a wealthy person or a clever person. I am simply God's.
Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is probably the correct one. Well, simply put, without anything more, I am God's.
It has taken me a lifetime to get to the point of being content in just being God's. Now it will take me the rest of my lifetime to enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment