Every now and again, you come across a verse that stands proud on the page. You rush for a piece of paper to write it down on. I think I just came across one that sums up my ministry philosophy:
'Now I commit you to God and to the word of His grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.' - Ac 20:32
The pastor's task is to commit people to God. The pastor's task is to commit people to the continuous, re-assuring message of grace. The pastor's task is to trust God and the word of grace to build up the church.
Pastoring people is what is commonly known as a referral system. The pastor refers people to Jesus. His task is to stand alongside those he has pointed to Jesus. First you stand next to them; then you point.
The best way to point out the Southern Cross in the night's sky is to be next to the person when you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment