Saturday, May 8, 2010

5 July 2009 I


If I had known how much my life was going to change that morning I might have got up a little earlier. It was a Sunday like any other. I made my way to the dining room. I prayed there almost every morning. Early.

My prayer began in its usual way. Then suddenly, without warning, I happened upon a mineshaft. Soon I was tumbling into the depths of God. The deep moments in God are seldom announced.

'If you decide to leave, my son, I will show you where to go. If you knock on the door, I will open it. This is my promise to you.'

The whole of life can change in a moment. Destinies can pivot on a fragile moment. Histories of nations revolve around a handful of isolated moments. Courses of life can be set in a moment. The Author of Time can imbue some moments with such a concentration of time that they are worth a thousand years.

The old weather vane on top of the house swung through 180 degrees. It had been blowing in one direction without fail for nearly eleven years. Then it changed.

It's time to leave, my son.

Jess would say later that when I came back into the bedroom that fateful morning she knew our lives had just changed. Unwritten, unspoken. The morning was pregnant with the intangible doings of the Ruler of the nations.

1 comment:

  1. I only just stumbled across your blog. I wish your wife had told me about it sooner. Now I have so much catch up reading to do. Quite looking forward to it though. Yay!

    ReplyDelete