The legal system is based on English law. My learning curve is steep and I often tumble back to the base of it to climb it again. There are over 70 Asians in the firm. It is a local firm. I am plunged into the complexities of insolvency law, construction law, company law. These are things I have little knowledge on.
A law firm consists of long hours conducted at a speed per hour far in excess of the number of minutes available to that hour. Lawyers are expensive. Clients have financial problems that need legal solutions. The legal solution cannot become another financial problem. The lawyers must pull out all the stops to maximize the profit for the firm while at the same time donning the appearance cost minimization. This scenario generally swirls into a concoction of stress and long hours. Some resort to legal drugs like caffeine. Others resort to a dull opiate of workaholism and ambition.
Lawyers are highly competent, skilled practitioners at what they do. The work requires intellectual aloofness and speed of thought. The consequences of their work are far-reaching. There is a zero tolerance of failure. Accuracy and precision are the watch-words of the profession. It is going to require a reformation of my personality to become this. It is rigourous. It is abrasive. At long last I have arrived in corporate law.
No comments:
Post a Comment