Tuesday, July 27, 2010

20 October 2009 The interview

The building overlooked the Singapore River. The interview was on one of the top floors. I was left waiting for about 30 minutes. I am very grateful (now) for those minutes. The minutes passed in sweet fellowship with the Lord. I was at total peace with myself, with Him and with my plight. My flight was about to leave in a matter of hours. I had nothing to show for my trip. And there I was standing on the 33rd floor of a corporate law firm that plunged headlong into the Singapore River. If this was not the job then the Lord had another plan.

The interview began as if I had already got the job. They had barely read my CV. It was like we were discussing when and how I would work for the firm, not if I would work for the firm. I remember walking out of the building pinching myself--did that just happen? It feels like I have a job. Did I just make that all up? He said he would speak to the other partners and email me. What does that mean?

When I got back to my brother's place I repeated the events of the day as I was packing for the airport. The more details of the interview I told the more he got excited and the more sure he was that I had the job. He was convinced. I was light-headed. I phoned Jess. 'I will check your email every 10 minutes' was all she said. Jess has this masterful ability to reduce stress into an exercise of admin. 'I'll be pragmatic; you be praying.' It was God's genius to have married the prosaic with the poetic. We make an unstoppable force.

1 comment:

  1. I know how this ends yet I am giddy with excitement to read what happens next!

    ReplyDelete